Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Homemade Carpet Cleaner

This homemade solution works really well!
It's easy to make, works quickly, and does not leave a lingering odor.
"To make spray-on spot and stain remover, fill a spray bottle with 5 parts water and 1 part vinegar. Fill a second spray bottle with 1 part nonsudsy ammonia and 5 parts water.
Saturate a stain with the vingar solution. Let it settle for a few minutes, then blot thoroughly with a clean, dry cloth. Then spray and blot using the ammonia solution. Repeat until the stain is gone. "
I found these bottles at W@lm@art. They're pretty cheap.
I wanted to show you this does work. So here are spots on my carpet that have been sprayed with the vinegar solution.

Here the same area of carpet after following both steps to the recipe.
This picture was taken the next morning after the carpet was dry.
No vinegar or ammonia smell remained.

I love, love, love this book!


Other suggestions for cleaning your carpet from this book...
Page 346
  • Rub light carpet stains with a mixture of 2 tablespoons salt dissolved in 1/2 cup white vinegar. Let the solution dry, then vacuum.
  • For larger or darker stains, add 2 tablespoons borax to the mixture and use in the same way.
  • For tough, ground-in dirt and other stains, make a paste of 1 tablespoon vinegar with 1 tablespoon cornstarch, and rub it into the stain using a dry cloth. Let it set for two days, then vacuum.

I hope you have a lovely day. Thank you for checking in with me.

Sincerely,

6 comments:

Amy said...

Wow, that really does work. I'm so glad you like your book. I like mine too.

Love ya,
Amy :)

The Whites said...

That worked great - thanks for he tip!

Mandy

shekinahhvac said...

I am gonna have to give this a try. I am always getting terrible stains on my carpets. Thanks for sharing.
Blessings

Tacie said...

cool! Thanks!

Mel ~ said...

Do you know if this works on pet stains? I am def. going to try this - today!!

Anonymous said...

This is great foe those who don't have pets. I wouldn't suggest using anything with ammonia in it with pet stains as it seems to be an attractant to animales and will bring them back to the spots you spray it... Even if it is "clean".